Nairobi County – Becoming an Accredited Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Provider
This comprehensive guide outlines the process and requirements for obtaining accreditation as a Continuous Professional Development (CPD) provider in Nairobi County. CPD is a vital aspect of professional growth, enhancing knowledge, skills, and personal qualities necessary for improving professional performance.
Applying for Accreditation
1.1. In-Person Application: One can initiate the accreditation process by visiting the Nairobi County Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council (KMPDC) offices in person. The contact details for KMPDC offices can be found in the “Office Location & Contact” section below.
1.2. Application Form: Upon visiting the KMPDC office, the institution’s contact person will receive an Application for Accreditation as a CPD Provider form to complete. Alternatively, this application form can be downloaded from the official KMPDC website.
1.3. Required Documents: Accompany the completed application form with the necessary documents, as listed in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
1.4. Payment of Fees: Submit the filled application form along with the required documents to the KMPDC offices and proceed to make the specified accreditation fees payment, detailed in the “Fees” section.
1.5. Application Processing: After submitting the payment receipt to the KMPDC offices, the accreditation process will commence. At this stage, KMPDC will conduct inspections of the institution’s premises, activities, facilitators, and resources to assess compliance with the required standards.
1.6. Certificate Collection: Upon successful completion of the accreditation process, KMPDC will notify the institution’s contact person to collect the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) accreditation certificate in person. Please note that accreditation usually takes approximately thirty days to complete.
1.7. Identity Verification: When collecting the CPD accreditation certificate, the institution’s contact person must provide proof of identity.
1.8. Certificate Validity: It’s essential to note that the accreditation certificate is valid for three years. Additionally, the institution will be assigned a unique identification number, which should be included on all CPD activity documentation.
To support your accreditation application, ensure you have the following documents:
- Calendar of activities
- Copy of registration certificates
- Application fee payment receipt
- Professional qualification documents of trainers
- Names of two referees
Office Locations & Contacts
For inquiries and visits, please refer to the following contact information:
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council – Head Office
Address: Woodlands Rd, Hurlingham, Nairobi P.O. Box: 44893 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone: +254-727666444 | +254-111052222
Eligibility for accreditation as CPD providers includes but is not limited to the following entities:
- Health facilities at national and county levels (public and private)
- Training institutions (middle and tertiary institutions, public and private)
- Recognized regional and international professional bodies like the Association of Medical Council of Africa (AMCOA) and International Association of Medical Regulatory Authorities (IAMRA)
- Faith-based Health Institutions
- Public benefit organizations (NGOs)
- National Medical and Dental Professional Associations
- Research institutions
- Ministry of Health and related special program divisions
- Others as approved by the Board
For institutions not regularly conducting CPD activities, the Board may issue special CPD-provider licenses. Additionally, the listed categories of providers can collaborate with other organizations to offer CPD.
Fees and Validity
- Application fee: Ksh 15,000.00
- All payments should be made at any KCB Branch countrywide to Board’s account No. 1103158643, Milimani Branch.
- Certificate validity: Three years
The accreditation process typically takes approximately thirty days.
To guide providers in the identification, development, and implementation of CPD activities, the Board has set the following requirements:
- Be registered online on the platform provided (www.icpdkenya.org).
- Clearly communicate desired learning outcomes to the target audience.
- Ensure that CPD activities align with needs assessment findings and are approved by the Board.
- Select teaching and learning methodologies suitable for achieving desired outcomes.
- Choose course facilitators based on their field of expertise.
- Provide adequate teaching and learning resources to support CPD programs and activities.
- Allocate sufficient time for CPD activities.
- Promote all CPD activities effectively to boost participation.
- Regularly evaluate CPD activities using standard evaluation tools provided by the Board (CPD III: Training Evaluation Form).